The search-and-rescue operation for the crew of the ill-fated Jascon 4 vessel, which sank off the coast of Escravos, Delta State, last Sunday, was called off on Friday. One member remains missing.

A source told our reporter that foreign experts and their Nigerian counterparts assembled for the rescue mission, called it a day last Friday, much to the consternation of the missing seafarer’s family.

The family of the missing seaman, identified as Richard Egbe, was unhappy with the development.

“Can you imagine, our brother is still missing, yet we heard that they have called off the search? I do not want to believe this should happen,” a family source said.

Also Read:  Subsidy scam: How oil dealers used ‘dead’ vessel to dupe Nigeria of N1.5bn

Jascon 4, owned by West Africa Venture (WAV), a subsidiary of Sea Truck Group (STG), sank last Sunday during a routine tow of an oil tanker to the BOP owned by Chevron Nigeria.

Sources at the Warri office of Chevron Nigeria Limited said Egbe was holed up in the engineer’s room of the vessel, when it sank.

A search later revealed the wreck of the vessel in the bed of the Atlantic Sea, leading to the discovery of 11 of the 12-man crew, among which the cook, identified as Harrison Oghene, was the only survivor so far.

Officials of WAV and STG could not be reached for comments yesterday. The Chevron management declined comments.

Also Read:  JTF arrest 21 suspects, impounds vessel in Bayelsa State

It was jubilation for the Oghene family on Saturday, following his discharge from the Chevron Clinic, where he was admitted.

Oghene was rescued on Tuesday evening by a team of divers, who met him in the vessel’s kitchen, where he was hiding after the vessel sank.

Narrating his lucky escape, Oghene said he climbed to the top of the cabinets to keep his head above water.

He said when the diver came to the cabin, he was scared and thought death had finally come for him.



Leave a Reply