Families of 40 police officers who were among those killed in the 20 January 2012 coordinated attacks by Boko Haram members in Kano, northwest Nigeria cried out to the Federal Government on Thursday, saying 16 months after they lost their loved ones who died serving the country, they were yet to receive any form of compensation from the government.

Authorities of Kano state Police Command while reviewing terrorist attacks in Kano to the Presidential Committee on Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the North said though a number of men and officers died, the Command in the face of mounting challenges matched the terrorists.

They appealed to members of the Committee who visited the Command to receive information on how the terrorists penetrated police facilities, to take up the case of the bereaved families who have been abandoned to their fate.

Also Read:  Death Toll Climb to 150 in Russia Flood

Police also disclosed that over 6000 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were intercepted by the Command’s Bomb Disposal Unit, most of which were detonated. The visitors were taken round the Police headquarters where they inspected assorted explosives seized from suspected militants of the Islamic sect.

Chairman of the Committee, Alhaji Kabiru Taminu Turaki (SAN) told the bereaved families that, “you are not going to be abandoned, you are not going to be rejected, we will take your case to the Federal Government; and through our recommendations, Mr. President will surely attend to your needs and support you.”

He added that the government is not insensitive to their plights and therefore would ensure that their families, particularly, the children won’t suffer, “they will be well taken care of in terms of their education and other welfare.”

Also Read:  Adeboye kicks against same sex marriage

He also used the occasion to evaluate the gains so far recorded by the Committee, saying that the Federal Government decision to release the vulnerable suspects of the Boko Haram sect in various detention centres across the country was part of the Committee’s recommendation and measures towards ensuring speedy resolution of the conflict.

He noted that their mission to Kano was to have interactive session with stakeholders, “we have received more information, more advice that will enable us go about the assignment with more sense of understanding.”

Turaki also assured that the Emergency Rule in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa would not jeopardize the activities of the Committee, pointing out that, “there is no contradiction between the Emergency Rule and the Committee. Nigeria is not at war. Even in countries where there is war, dialogue is also applied.

Also Read:  Opposition parties move against Gov Orji

“No responsible government will sit down and allow a group of individuals to threaten lives and properties. The issue is that those who want to take the option of dialogue will have it; and those who want to continue to fight will continue to fight.”



Leave a Reply