The Joint Investigation Team set up by the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has recommended the immediate prosecution of over 500 suspects apprehended in the course of security operations against terrorists.
The suspects were apprehended in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa States.
This is contained in a statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja by the Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Chris Olukolade.
The statement said the suspects were also among the almost 1,400 detainees screened by the team at the detention facilities in Maiduguri, Yola and Damaturu between July and September.
It said those recommended for immediate trial included high profile suspects, some of whom were training other terrorists in weapon handling as well as those who confessed to being trained in Mali and other countries for the purpose of perpetrating terror in Nigeria.
“Also among those recommended for trial are a medical doctor, paramilitary or service personnel who were fighting on the side of the terrorists and other individuals who offered direct logistics support to the terrorists.”
The statement said the team, however, recommended the release of 167 of the detainees from detention in Maiduguri, Yola and Damaturu.
It said that about 614 others whose cases were inconclusive had been recommended for review.
The report also proposed that some of the detainees be tried for other offences ranging from armed robbery, murder to drugs related offences.
”If the recommendation of the team sails through, the trial of some of the suspects will be held in the states while others may be tried at the Federal level by High Courts,” the News Agency of Nigeria quoted the DHQ spokesman as saying in the statement.
The statement said the team was tasked to examine, classify and recommend appropriate actions against detainees in the various detention centres in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states