Ex-Oyo SSG escapes assassination…Guard killed



From YINKA FABOWALE, Ibadan

Former secretary to the Oyo State Government and Accord Party Chieftain, Mr. Ayodele Adigun, on Tuesday night escaped assassination by suspected hired killers. But, the assailants killed his night guard, when they did not meet him at home.

The former government scribe and politician, who recently defected from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the Rashidi Ladoja-led AP was away in Ekiti State to open an office for his new party, when the hoodlums struck. The corpse of the night guard, identified simply as Pa Olapade, an ex-service man, was discovered yesterday morning by the day guard, Wasiu Adeniran, when he came to resume his duty shift at the Akobo GRA residence of Adigun in Ibadan. He was met blindfolded, gagged and clubbed to death.

The murder seemed to have revived the specter of political killings that was the feature of the state before the advent of this new political dispensation, the last being that of Alhaji Lateef Salako (aka Elewe omo), the NURTW kingpin in December 2010. A visibly shaken Adeniran told Daily Sun that he was surprised when he arrived the house at about 6.58am and knocked on the gate, only to get no response for almost 30 minutes.

“We normally resume shifts by 7.00am and 7.00pm. So when I came and knocked, there was no answer. There was no sign of his footsteps, or radio set, which he normally left on. I stayed for about 30 minutes outside, when Usman, a neigbour’s security guard next to us advised I should knock again, because it was unusual of Baba not to come out by that time. It was then I used my hands to pry open the gate from behind.

Also Read:  Under fire, Nicki Minaj weeps as American Idol comes to a close–Judges tip Candice Glover as winner

As I entered it was Baba’s dead body that I saw lying at his post near the entrance. He was tied. I quickly raised alarm and called Oga’s secretary and his special Assistant.” Speaking on phone with Daily Sun from Ado Ekiti, Adigun said he got a telephone call yesterday morning informing him of the incident. He believed he was the target, as nothing was stolen from the house. The main building was not even broken into.

He said he had no clue why anyone would make attempt on his life, but suspected that it might have political undertone. His words: “I don’t have deals. I owed no one and no one owed me any money. I hardly have enemies, but I know I criticize government a lot. “This is a dangerous trend, that we are having this kind of thing again in this state. Apparently, they were after me, because we learnt they came about 9.00pm and 10.00pm, when they calculated I would have dispersed my visitors and would be relaxing.

They calculated the time,” he said he would henceforth seek police protection. Asked to comment on the incident, the politician’s aged mother, who, however, refused to give her name told Daily Sun: “My son, what do I say. Just help me to thank God and pray that the poor man who was killed, let God give him eternal rest.” Pressed further, the old woman, who would turn 75 years on April 1, said she was happy that the agents of evil did not give her a sad birthday present. She disclosed that her son had been receiving death threats since early December last year, but had ignored advice that he abandons the house for a while.

Also Read:  5 NYSC members die in Jigawa – Coordinator

The last time I told him, he just shrugged off his shoulders, that he could not because of some faceless people leave and not celebrate Christmas in his own house, that such people should come and meet him.” The murdered guard’s colleague, Adeniran said the assailants apparently accessed the house by scaling the fence from the back. Conducting Daily Sun round the premises, he showed the reporter the ladder the hoodlums might have used to climb back the fence and make good their escape.

He also showed the bloodstained spot where he discovered his dead colleague. The corpse had been deposited at the Adeoyo Maternity and State Hospital Yemetu, while the matter was reported at the Akobo Police Station. When Daily Sun visited the police station, the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, was said not to be around. But, a police officer confirmed the case was reported there and that investigation was on. 10/newsrm2 10 in police net for forging approved plan From CHARLES ADEGBITE, Ado-Ekiti No fewer than 10 people are now being prosecuted in Ekiti State for allegedly contravening urban and physical development law and forging government approved plan in Ekiti State.

The state Commissioner for Housing, Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr. Oluremi Olorunleke disclosed this in Ado-Ekiti yesterday during the ministerial press briefing/stakeholders’ forum Olorunleke lamented that those being prosecuted have been forging government documents and using them to dupe innocent people looking for approved government plan and Certificate of Occupancy (C of O),

Also Read:  Too many old delegates may hinder progress of national conference - Lawmaker

He charged whoever wants to get approved Survey Plan and C of O to come to the Bureau of Land and contact the officers in charge, rather than allowing some crooks to dupe them, saying the Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi has approved about 482 C of O since inception of his administration. Speaking on the need for Master Plan, the commissioner said: “It is disheartening that there is no master plan for Ado-Ekiti as a state capital in our 17 years of existence.

A master plan and other types or level of plans are basic tools of projection, monitoring and assumption of ordering of development of a city or country.” The ministry, according to the commissioner had generated about N227 million between January 2012 and February 2013; which was more than what it generated between October 2010 and Dec 2011.

On the activities of the Ekiti State Housing Corporation, the commissioner disclosed that the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) granted the corporation, a loan facility to the tune of N794.6 million to develop 281 housing units in the state. He, however, said the money had not been disbursed “because the state has not resumed contributing to the National Housing Fund, NHF.







Pinterest

Leave a Reply

naija-center-news-1