There was tragedy in Azikoro in Yenagoa, the Bayelsa State capital, yesterday, following the discovery of the bodies of a woman and her four children. They were apparently killed by fumes from a generator.

Mrs. Chinyere Celestine and four of her children lived in a house located off Goodnews Street in the city before the accident, which was believed to have occurred on Tuesday night.

Two of the woman’s six children were resuscitated at the hospital, where they were rushed to by neighbours.

Eyewitnesses believed that Mrs. Celestine and her children died in their sleep of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator in their home.

Also Read:  FG to honour Dana crash victims

The woman’s husband, identified as Celestine, was said to be away in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

A source said: “The man was the one who made the discovery because he called his wife and children severally on the phone but got no reply.

This led him to call one of their neighbours who went to the house to find out the situation.”

The neighbour was said to have raised the alarm after persistent knocks on the door failed to elicit any response.

A small crowd gathered and forced the door open, leading to the discovery of the victims.

The use of power generating sets has increased lately, following two weeks of blackout resulting from the destruction of power transmission lines at Obunagha, which supply electricity to the state.

Also Read:  Anchorman of an Islamic TV programme Missing in Lagos

Police spokesman Alex Akhigbe confirmed the deaths.

The bodies have been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yenagoa.



Leave a Reply