There were indications emerged on Tuesday that the Oyo State Government might prosecute the 3,000 workers sacked in the state.
If found guilty, they would be made to refund the salaries they were allegedly paid during the period.
A top government official in the state, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the state government was compiling the list of those to be prosecuted.
Our correspondent learnt that the decision to prosecute the “ghost workers” and those with fake certificates was in keeping with the administration’s pledge to restore sanity to civil and public service in the state.
The PDP had said the present administration in the state “is hell-bent on frustrating the people of the state, especially the workforce.”
However, the state government said it would not allow fraud and forgery in the system.
The official said, “This government is bent on ensuring that there is discipline and it has indicated that the culprits will not go free.”
The state government in an earlier statement made available to journalists, had said, “The Oyo State Government is committed to improving the lot of workers in the state. It has done this in the last one year by paying more attention to workers’ welfare and promotion as and when due.
“It will not continue to abet the service of workers who forged their certificates, ages or who violated their rules of engagement to stay a day longer. It is like a cancer which, if not promptly checked, can eat up the whole of the system.”
When contacted, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media, Dr. Festus Adedayo, said he was aware that the list of those who forged their certificates and ages, as well as those found to have committed offences which included fraud, had been compiled.
“But I cannot say whether the state government will institute criminal proceedings against them or retrieve salaries illegally collected by them,” he said.