It was learnt that the fire consumed six shops on the second floor while the remaining 12 shops on the first and ground floors were unaffected.
It was learnt that although no one was injured in the fire which lasted for almost two hours, goods worth millions naira were lost to the inferno.
The Director, Lagos State Fire and Safety Service, Razaq Fadipe, said the fire was probably caused by an electric malfunction.
Fadipe said, “The two-storey building located at 587 Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, contains 18 shops. The fire started around 10.55am from a shop on the second floor and spread through the roof to other shops on the same floor. Furniture, electronics and other items for sale were all consumed.
“We received a distress call and we immediately deployed our men from Agege in the scene. The fire was intense and we had to call for backup from Ikeja. However after an hour and a half, we were able to put out the fire. There were no casualties in the fire.”