A staff of Dura Pack, a Chinese-owned Lagos-based company that produces nylon bags, has died, allegedly from electric shock while carrying out a repair work in the company.

Simply identified as Kenneth, he was said to have died about 3pm, Tuesday.

Already, his colleagues have since the incident begun an indefinite strike to protest his death and alleged unsafe working environment in the company located on Awosika Avenue, Ikeja.

They are also demanding for adequate compensation for the family.

Though efforts to speak with the management of the company was unsuccessful, Mr. Chinedu Bosah, Publicity Secretary, Campaign for Democratic Workers Rights, CDWR, lamented the death, saying Kenneth, an electrician, died while carrying out repair work without safety work tools like hand gloves and boots.

Also Read:  Labour, Air Force on warpath over alleged brutalisation of PHCN staff

He said: “Moreso, the company does not have a clinic or sick bay that can address emergency cases on a First Aid basis. Dura Pack, a Chinese-owned company, produces nylon bags.

“Since then, workers have embarked on strike, while the owners of the company have also locked up the premises.

“Workers, most of whom are casuals at the company, are denied the right to belong to a union of their choice. Indeed, some workers were sacked in 2009 when they tried to introduce unionism.

The workers are agitating for increment in salary; casual workers presently earn N19,000, while the few regular staff earn about N23,000.”

Also Read:  How bulldozers killed woman, six-month-old unborn baby

The workers complained that there are little or no safety measures and safety tools to work with. Some of them showed burns on their bodies, particularly on their hands because they are made to pack hot nylon bags with bare hands.

They said they wanted compensation for the family of deceased and were also demanding adequate safety tools and clinic within the company and the right to belong to a union.



Leave a Reply