John Tomic, the father of Australian tennis player Bernard, has been barred from all ATP tournaments until further notice.

Tomic appeared in court on Tuesday where he denied charges of assaulting his son’s practice partner Thomas Drouet, shortly after their arrival in Madrid for the Masters.

In a statement on Tuesday evening, the ATP said: “Following last week’s incident in Madrid concerning John Tomic, and the ensuing investigation, Mr Tomic’s credential privileges have been suspended at all ATP tournaments until further notice.

“The ATP’s investigation into this incident remains ongoing.”

Tomic, who must return to face trial on May 14, allegedly broke Drouet’s nose and told the court he acted in self-defence.

Also Read:  Shekau died of gunshot wounds – JTF

According to Drouet, however, a row at Nice airport prior to leaving for Madrid sparked the outbreak, and on arriving in the Spanish capital Tomic asked to walk with him before the incident took place.

Drouet said: “Outside the Cuzco Hotel he comes up to me and I think he is about to apologise (for the incident in Nice) and he says come over here with me.


Leave a Reply