Okonjo-Iweala admits bad communication on Chibok girls

The Federal Government did not adequately communicate with the press about the nearly 300 schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in Chibok, Borno State in Nigeria’s North-East, Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala admitted to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Thursday.

“This is a very delicate situation with an unpredictable group. And I think that maybe this is one of the areas where we have not been able to communicate as well as we can.

“The president has two daughters,” she said. “These children are our children. But we did not communicate that well.”

Critics say that far from just releasing bad information, the government released demonstrably false information.

Also Read:
No to lifelong salary for NASS leadership

Just days after the kidnapping in April, the Nigerian military announced that all but a handful of the girls had been released; that claim was soon disproved, and the girls are still missing.

“I don’t know how that happened,” Okonjo-Iweala said. “The issue now is not whether we are criticised or not criticised unfairly. I think we should forget about all that.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.