BUA group accuses Obaseki of shutting down its operation

BUA group accuses Obaseki of shutting down its operation
  • Edo government lied, we did not declare BUA MD wanted – Police

Cement giant, BUA Group situated along Benin Okene Expressway, Okpella has accused Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki of shutting its operations in one of its mining sites.

Godwin Obaseki 300x200 - BUA group accuses Obaseki of shutting down its operation
Godwin Obaseki

The company accused the governor of arresting two of its staff on Wednesday at the Obu-Okpella site during his visit.

BUA said the governor conducted “a gestapo-style forceful shutdown of that mine despite a subsisting court pronouncement that the Mine be allowed to operate”.

“Upon reaching that mining site and not meeting any personnel or equipment, two BUA Cement employees were invited to the mining site to receive the governor.

“We later learnt that these employees were arrested upon arrival on the orders of the governor and taken away for no just reason,” the statement said.

The company claimed innocence behind the arrest of its staff, adding that it has instructed the company lawyer to secure their release immediately.

Also Read:
Obaseki shutdown Obu mines after social media war with Dangote/BUA

The lawyer is to work on the issue of the shutdown of the mines since it contravenes a court order for the status quo to be maintained.

In a swift response, the state government countered the claim by BUA Group that it shut down its site in a  “gestapo-style”

This was contained in a statement signed by the Special Adviser on Media and Communication Strategy to Governor, Mr Crusoe Osagie.

Osagie in defence reminded that the government primary responsibility is to make sure that there was peace in all parts of the state and rules and regulations are upheld at all times.

The Special Adviser picked holes in the company’s statement, adding that it’s fraught with contradictions.

“In the first paragraph of BUA’s statement, the company claimed that the Edo State Governor effected a gestapo-style to forcefully shutdown the mine.

Also Read:
N300 Billion Bailout Fund Ready Available Soon - Presidency

“In the very next paragraph, BUA said that ‘Upon reaching the mining site and not meeting any personnel or equipment two BUA Cement employees were invited to the mining site to receive the Governor.

“Are these two statements not contradictory? If no one was at the site, then why would the governor use gestapo-style to shut it down?

“So why is BUA spreading falsehood? The workers and equipment were being evacuated by the time we got there, and understandably, they had heard that the governor was around and was rushing out of the site. They clearly flouted the Stop Work Order and now want to mask their violation of the order by resorting to blackmail.”

Godwin Obaseki allegedly attacked and Publish declares BUA Cement MD wanted

Also Read:
Clothes Torn, Punches In House Of Reps Over Leadership Posts

In a complete twist, the spokesman for Governor Obaseki released another statement that the governor was attacked, accusing the BUA group as responsible.

Osagie also revealed that the Nigerian Police has declared the Managing Director of BUA Cement Yusuf Binji wanted for attacking the state governor’s convoy.

Read the full statement below.

The Nigeria Police have declared the Managing Director of BUA’s Obu Cement Company, Yusuf Binji, wanted over an attack on the convoy of the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki.

Also attacked were some officials of the Edo State Government who were on the convoy of the Edo State Governor.

According to the police, the decision to declare Mr. Binji wanted became necessary as it had earlier received intelligence that BUA International Limited is sponsoring militias in Okpella, Edo State, where the company has a cement factory and mine sites.

Also Read:
My next assignment after office - Jonathan

These militias, the police said, were allegedly sponsored by Binji and his team to attack the convoy of the governor, cause harm and mayhem.

Edo Government lied, Police never declared BUA MD wanted – Police

The Nigerian police on Friday denied declaring the Managing Director of Obu Cement Company, Yusuf Binji, wanted.

A statement which was released by the Governor’s spokesman, Crusoe Osagie said the police had declared the MD wanted for attacking the governor, Godwin Obaseki’s convoy.

The two giants cement companies, BUA group and Dangote group had been at loggerhead over the Obu mines which led to the decision by the state governor to shut down operation pending when the issue was resolved. Obu Mines is rich in limestones, a major raw material in cement production.

The governor on Tuesday visited the BUA premises and ordered its forceful shutdown, while two staff of the company were taken away.

Also Read:
EDO 2016: ACN group advocates incorruptible leadership

The action was an indication that the BUA group disregarded Obaseki’s order to shutdown operations at the site.

A twist was introduced by Crusoe on Thursday when he accused the BUA of training militia who attacked Obaseki’s convoy.

The spokesperson later released a statement that the Nigerian Police had declared the MD of the group wanted.

However, the police spokesperson, Jimoh Moshood denied the statement.

Moshood also said the force was unaware that the state governor was attacked.

He said:“But if it is true that the governor is attacked then the state command should investigate,”

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.