- lawmakers impeach Imo State Deputy Speaker
By Ehi Ekhator
About 27 members of the Kano State House of Assembly signed the impeachment notice served to the Speaker, Abdullahi Atta on Monday morning
The aggrieved lawmakers accused the former speaker of corruption, failure to carry other members along and incompetence.
A new speaker Alhassan Rurum has been sworn in
The lawmakers also impeached the Majority Leader and replaced with Bappa Babba, while Kabiru Hassan is the new Deputy Majority Leader and the Chief Whip is now Abdulrahaman Madari.
The lawmakers had attempted to impeach the Speaker and some alleged compromised principals of the house in May 2018 which led to the sealing of the Assembly by policemen.
Lawmakers impeach Imo State Deputy Speaker
Meanwhile in Imo State, the Deputy Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Mr. Eze Madumere has been impeached.
19 members out of 27 lawmakers impeached him on Monday.
The decision is related to the 7-man panel which was constituted by the Chief Judge of the state to investigate an allegation of gross misconduct, according to the Speaker of the House, Acho Ihim.
The house had accused the Deputy Speaker of the following:
- Failure to attend state executive and state security council meetings.
- Absence from meeting without reasons up to three months
- Alleged concealment of a felonious act in the United States and,
- Refusal to attend meetings with the Governor and other government functionaries.